Blizzard 2011!!



I was going to update the blog on Monday evening when I got home from work, but then something funny happened. I clicked on the Weather Channel icon on my handy Blackberry to get the high temperature for the day...and an ALERT popped up. So of course I clicked on it...Blizzard watch?? This made me laugh out loud, literally. I continued to get dressed and then left to take James to base and head to work. On the way to work the radio was playing and a weather update came on, more about this so called Blizzard. I think mainly my failure to take this seriously is the fact that as a North Carolinian 3 inches of snow used to freak me out, but now...oh no I'm a Midwesterner and I laugh at snow. So in my head I was thinking "Oh please, Blizzard Schmizzard."  Then I got a text from James "Preparing for possibly shutting base down for three days." Ohhhh, so the Navy is taking this seriously....ok it is for real. I promptly went to the grocery store and got Apple Jacks, brownie mix, and peanut butter. Essentials.

Ladies and gentleman we survived the Blizzard of 2011! Chicago public schools closed for the first time in twelves years, Lake Shore Drive was closed, Lake Michigan had 25 ft. waves, and (drumroll) we got 19" of snow. Even Naval Station Great Lakes was at a standstill this morning. Last night it was literally like a hurricane but with snow, the wind was incredible. If you looked out the window all you could see was white. We never lost power though, and I'm so happy to have a snow day today with James :) Below is my link to the pictures I took this morning when we took Miss Lilly out for a walk. She wasn't sure what to think, and did NOT like the wind blowing snow in her face. Thank god they plowed the streets of the parking lot so she had somewhere to potty. Thank you for all the calls, texts, and emails checking on us, and for the calls, texts, and emails that it is 70 degrees in NC right now.


In other (and even bigger) news, James has started his Electronics Technician Apprentice (ETA) school and after two weeks, he has the highest average in his class!!! I'm so proud of him as always. He's been studying so hard, and still really enjoys the electronics field. He's been researching and getting stuff together to apply for Officer Candidate School, so everything in the Navy world has been moving right along. His projected graduation date is late June/early July so we're definitely going to be in Chicago a little longer than expected which is great with us, we want to experience that amazing summer we keep hearing about here. So, for those that wanted to visit but weren't too excited about the frigid temps, we'll be around all summer!

We send lots of love to everyone, and please enjoy that sunshine for us!

Comments

Popular Posts