Mason Eldridge is ONE!

I still can't believe that as I am writing this we have a one year old. As you embark on parenthood, I think you realize your life will change and you somewhat expect it...but I don't think James nor I knew on that quiet, rainy Saturday morning just how much our lives would turn upside down when Mason Eldridge Green came into our lives. Everyone tells you how quickly it goes by, how fast it all goes...and you just smile and nod but it is so true. I feel like I was just up at 4am giving him a bottle and laughing because we went right from newborn clothes to 6 months. But alas, my little love bug has somehow moved from baby land to toddlerville. He walks, talks, uses a spoon (kind of), bottles are gone and replaced with sippy cups, and one day I feel like he's going to look up at me and say "I do it myself" as I can see that all over his face as he tries new things and explores life.

His first birthday was the type of magic you only hope for on these special days. Basically because at the last minute we had to move the date of the party so James could be there...always adjusting for military life...but we were so grateful Dad could be there. We had so many friends and family come hang out with us for the morning to celebrate our sweet Mason, and nothing meant more to us. You would think I would get used to the amount of support and love we have, but it never ceases to amaze me how many people we have in our lives who make our special moments theirs as well. Some of you traveled and braved the Hampton Roads traffic, tunnel closures, and detours... and for that, we thank you. The party was wonderful. We had an Under the Sea theme by the Chesapeake Bay complete with the birthday boy in his whale bathing suit and smashing his whale cake. For our August baby who loves the water, it seemed rather fitting. Below are some pictures from the party!

 
 









So as these special moments come and go it always leaves me looking back and reminiscing. I found myself the past couple of weeks looking back at the past year and how much Mason has become, well, Mason. His personality has really started to come out and it keeps us laughing every. single. day. James and I snuck in a date last night and as always we found ourselves reflecting on this little human we created and how he's so big, so independent, and oh so sweet. He still is the perfect mixture of the two of us. He has my strong will and independence, but he has James's need to know how things work, always looking inside, behind, and around things to see what makes them tick. He has my curiosity, my love to go fast, and my need to be on the move. He took his first steps at 10 months and never looked back. We are seeing James's artistic streak start to come out because he loves to build, he loves to paint, and he loves to make things. He still has James's eyebrows and chin and Mom's eye shape, nose, and cheeks. He has Dad's hazel eyes, and Mom's curly blonde hair. (Yes, I used to have blonde hair!) He has 6 teeth, and is still so tall. Last time James and I measured him he was 32" and he weighs 24lbs. He loves to wave, give high fives, shake his head no and yes, his favorite word is Daddy, and he loves country music (praising the Lord for that one!)

I am so thankful for a lot of things in my life but being Mason's mom is the thing I am most proud of and most grateful for. Mainly because one of the greatest gifts you get as a parent is learning to see things through a child's eyes again. He teaches me something new everyday but the one thing I want to thank him for the most is teaching me to slow down. Being a full time working mom and military spouse (shew, that's a lot!) it is easy to get caught up in the day and things I need to get done, but one day when he's reading this blog I want him to know he made me enjoy little things. Walking into daycare and pointing at flowers, enjoying a peanut butter & jelly sandwich like it is a delicacy, strolls in the evening, the splendor of a good nap when he's taking one on a Saturday afternoon, falling in love with his Dad all over again watching him try to teach Mason how to hold a football way too early, and savoring every snuggle and hug I get from him.

Happy Birthday Mason, you are the love of our life and we are so glad God chose us to be your parents. May you always be as silly and curious as you are right now, never stop wondering how things work, and always know your Dad and I love you bigger than all the oceans.


A prayer his Aunt Annie wrote for his dedication I read to him before he went to sleep on his birthday...my wishes for him every day :)

Mason has beautiful toes and feet. God made these toes and feet and loves them. We pray that on these feet, Mason may stand firm in his convictions and feel connected to the world around him.

Mason has beautiful arms and hands. God made these arms and hands and loves them. We pray that with these arms Mason will embrace all the people of the world and that with his hands he will reach out in generosity to those in need.

Mason has a beautiful head and face. God made his head and face and loves them. We pray that Mason will speak words of truth and kindness and will think well and justly.

Again, thank you to everyone that helped us celebrate...
The Greens


Comments

Anonymous said…
I promise you, Alison's first sentence was "I do it" and we knew we were in trouble.

Popular Posts