Hey babe...I'm a Sailor

First, my deepest apologies for not updating the blog on a regular basis the past few weeks. I didn't realize how jam packed my schedule was until I looked back and saw I had been living out a suitcase for three weeks straight. BUT I am very happy to update it tonight for many reasons. I am now the wife of a US Navy Sailor!!!! James had Battlestations 21 last night which is their final test of Basic Training. To get an idea of what this is, I posted a video below, CNN did a piece on the USS Trayer and it explains a bit of what he went through last night.


James called me today at 3:32pm, I will never forget it. I saw the 847 area code and picked up and heard "Babe! I'm a Sailor!" I am so proud of him. So very, very proud of him. It is has been such a long road for the guys. James has been cut off from reality for eight weeks and he's missed so much that at times I often wondered how he kept his focus, but he is done and I am so happy for him! When I spoke to him he had been awake for about 30 hours, and he has a sinus infection. Yuck!

He also told me that he was assigned his rating, and he will be an Electronics Technician (abbreviated ET, the Navy abbreviates everything). Surface ET's maintain and repair electronics equipment such as radar, communication and navigation equipment. The ET and FC (Fire and Weapons Control) ratings comprise the basis of the ship's Combat Systems department aboard ships and are responsible for maintaining the ship's readiness for combat operations. We knew when he left for Basic Training that he was going into Advanced Electronics and Computer Systems, we just weren't sure if he was going to be an ET or an FC. Our orders have us in Great Lakes for 212 days, which is good news to some of you. We'll be there in the Spring so you can come see us when we thaw out from our first Illinois winter!

I want to say thank you to everyone who has given me love and support over the past eight weeks. I can look back and be really proud of myself. There have been times it has been really tough not being able to be near James for two months, but ironically I have never felt like our relationship has been stronger. Every bone in my body knows this was the right decision for James, myself, and our family. Each of you have played such a big part in that. We're so blessed to be surrounded by amazing friends and family.

I got his cell phone hooked back up today, so be on the lookout for a phone call from the graduate this weekend. He actually misses his phone, which for those of you that know James you are raising your eyebrows thinking that day would never come. My flight leaves tomorrow at 5:40pm. Say a prayer for me, my parents, Randy, and Warren as we make our way to Chicago tomorrow evening. We're also still awaiting the arrival of Molly, she seems to be pretty comfy where she is. Tricia says she can already tell she's a Drama Queen :) I can't wait to meet her and tell her lots of crazy stories about her Mom and Dad. Keep Jason and Tricia in your thoughts as they prepare for her birthday.

Think about James Thursday morning at 9am, he will be graduating from Boot Camp!! The next post you will get to see a picture of my handsome James in his uniform and HOPEFULLY a picture of our beautiful niece so stay tuned. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart for the support. HOOYAH!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts