So Official...

In the most exciting news yet....I am an official (according to the government) United States Navy wife. Whoohoo!! And the military welcomed me perfectly by making me sit in a waiting area for 2 and a half hours before taking the 6 minutes to take my picture and print my shiny new ID. Thankfully Claudy accompanied me to Ft. Bragg for this momentous occasion so I had someone to talk to. And to celebrate my officialness, we went to the Commissary on base. Most of you that are not in the military or have not had a loved on in the military are probably wondering what this is. A glorious place...it is a grocery store where everything is REALLY cheap and it is tax free of course, so I was in heaven. I was already looking around and thinking how much fun I was going to have when I got to Great Lakes and had the opportunity to stock the kitchen. Heck yes. I know, it is the little things in life. I didn't think my new official status could get much better until it dawned on me that I now had Tricare Insurance. I was actually kind of dreading changing because I hate dealing with insurance companies. But, the next day I went to get my allergy shots. I walked in, gave them my ID, they plugged some things in the computer, and I got my shots. THEY WERE FREE. Holy... completely made my day. Until I went to Walgreens to pick up a prescription that is normally $45. I politely waited in the waiting area (did that a lot last week) and she called me to the desk and said "Ok Mrs. Green that will be $9" I'm sorry, what did you say? "9." I so desperately wanted to call James and tell him thank you for joining the Navy so I could get my shiny ID card that lead to all kinds of happiness. Which brings me to.....the James update. 

James is doing so well at basic training. Tomorrow he will have completed "Hell week." They had lots of inspections, an academic test, and a physical assessment. I hear they don't get much sleep and it is just very trying, so I've been thinking about him a lot this week. I did get 6 letters in the mail from him today and they were from last week. He has such an amazing perspective on everything and is really doing great. He had his first "personal inspection" where basically the RDC (Recruit Division Commander) gets in your face and drills you on things you've learned. He is passing the physical tests with flying colors. He now has been issued all of his uniforms so he's happy about that. And because it is so popular, at the bottom of the post I will put funny excerpts from his letter. 

Lilly and I went out in the beach last Sunday night and took some pictures for him. I thought it would be nice for him to have a picture of both of his girls. Below is my favorite one.

I am so busy the next couple of weeks which makes me happy, because I only have three left until I go to Chicago. It is looking like everything is falling into place for me and Lilly Bear to move up to Great Lakes the first or second week in October. We're so excited to get up there and be with him again! This weekend is Tricia's baby shower, and next weekend I'm in Nashville with the girls so I have good times ahead of me to keep me smiling. As always thank you so much for all of your support through these past weeks. I find strength in everyone's kindness! Enjoy the excerpts from his letters below!

August 5
"I just finished a training session on weapons inspection and turnover. I know you don't have a clue what that is, but its not that hard. I just stand there and wait for someone to tell me what to do with a 9mm pistol."

(I asked James in a letter if he had any ice cream while being gone) "No I have not had any ice cream, but we do get chocolate chip cookies sometimes and my favorite one is the rice crispy treat with the chocolate on top. I love those things."

Will, pay attention to this one: "I have watch that starts at 4am and ends at 6am. Not too excited about that. Guess I will have to iron my undies tomorrow night. That is the one thing I find super stupid. I get the whole attention to detail thing but underwear is where I draw the line." (Do you think he told his RDC that???)

"And the correct terminology for underwear in the Navy is "SKIVVIES." Here are a few more so you will not be surprised if we are sitting at the dinner table and I may act or say something that may seem weird to you. If I need to go to the bathroom "I HAVE TO GO TO THE HEAD." (this is exactly how he is writing this, big letters) If we are eating and I am silent it is because I am not allowed to talk at the dinner table. If I see you leaning against a wall, I will probably ask you to "Get off the BULKHEAD." If I see you walking around barefoot, I will ask you to "Get your feet off the DECK. And my favorite, If I ask you to help me do something and for whatever reason it gets messed up or you don't do it the right way, I will say "FFI" Failure to Follow Instructions."

(Now let me pause right here. For those of you that know James, this MIGHT seem kind of funny. If he does ever find the strength to say this to me, I will kindly remind him of the first three years of our relationship....if you need a reminder go read my posting about how he packed us up to move.)

August 7
"Quote of the week from my Chief RDC. "DAMN IT RECRUIT, YOU MAKE THIS DIVISION LOOK LIKE A BUCKET FULL OF SMASHED ASSHOLES" That makes me laugh every time." (What are smashed assholes?)

I hope everyone has a great weekend. And Happy Anniversary to my parents on Saturday, 34 years together!! Stay tuned for lots of pictures from Tricia's baby shower!

Comments

Popular Posts