Distinguished Military Graduate

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
-Aristotle


I realized today driving to work that I have not yet blogged about James Howard's big day on June 10, 2011 and that made me sad. So, here I am to tell you all about the magical day! I really wish that you all could have been there to see his big smile and to see him accept his certificate and challenge coin. It was such a great day and weekend for us! Randy and Claudette flew in that Thursday night to be there, so James had quite a fan club sitting in the audience.

This all started on Thursday when I got a call from James and it went pretty much like this:
James: Hey babe! I just finished with graduation practice! Guess where I am during the ceremony?
Me: Ummm...no clue?
James: I'm number one on the front row! They lined us up according to GPA so you'll be able to see me really good.
*Pause*
Me: They lined you up according to GPA by class or for everyone graduating?
James: No, everyone.
*Another pause*
Me: You're number one total?
James: Yep.
*Another pause as I wonder why James isn't freaking out*
Me: James, you are number one out of EVERYONE?! Holy cow. Babe. That is amazing, I'm so proud of you!!! James! Wow!
James: Yep. So you should get some good pictures.

So you can all see how these things do not affect James. :) I got off the phone and was in shock. But, I don't know why because he's just been amazing throughout this whole process. I still tear up when I think about it... I am just so stinking proud!! I know everyone knows how hard he has worked, but I've had a front row seat to watching him miss so much, come home so late, miss meals being in the study hall, wake up in the middle of the night to stand watch after a huge test, have zero energy on a Saturday and just beg me to lay on the couch and watch movies, and literally work himself to the bone...so to see him so carefree on Friday and so happy was the best feeling. In the ceremony he was recognized as being number one, and being a Distinguished Military Graduate. He also received a Challenge Coin from the Lt. and a letter from the Commanding Officer congratulating him on all his accomplishments. He also was promoted to Petty Officer Third Class, which makes him ET3 Green. (Electronics Technician Third Class Green)

One of the things that I was blown away by was how many of the guys came up to James after the ceremony to either say congratulations, thank you for all your help along the way, or just shake his hand and say job well done. He was so well respected by all his peers and they all loved him, so I think he has found his true calling.

On behalf of Mr. James Howard and myself - we couldn't have made it this far without your support and understanding. This hasn't been an easy road every day, but it has been worth it and so completely fulfilling. All of the emails, texts, phone calls, pictures, voicemails, facebook postings, and cards do not go unnoticed. We are pretty sure we have the greatest support system in the whole Navy. And if you're reading this, you're a part of it so thank you. Being James's wife is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me and something I'm most proud of, but being a Navy wife is a close second. :)

Here are some pictures!








So for now we're just waiting on our next orders! Hopefully any day now we'll have a blog posting telling you where our next adventure will take us. And yes, we have our fingers crossed for Virginia too ;)

Until next time, we love you all!
ET3 Green and Jules :)

Comments

Popular Posts