Thrifting and Counting Down 'Til Florida!

First, I again am going to apologize for what is about to be a long blog post. I haven't updated in the last few weeks but they've flown by! I spent a couple of weeks in Raleigh and Dunn and had the best time catching up with friends and family. And I am finally at the beach where I am so thankful I don't have to pack my bags for a little while. Lilly is happy to be in one place too, and to be reunited with her brothers Spanky and Brutus (although I am not sure if the cats reciprocate those feelings.) James is doing great in his school in Pensacola, he's mastering how to repair the AN/SPN-41 and the AN/SPN-43. I don't really know what that means either but I do know that it is the equipment which is used to help planes land on the deck of the carrier. So, he is in charge of making sure a VERY important piece of equipment stays up and running! I will post his address at the bottom of the blog post so everyone can send him cards and tell him how much you all miss him :)

But, what I am MOST excited to blog about are the projects I have been working on since James Howard left. My very close friend Kate is one of the most creative people I have ever met. She has created her own jewelry line out of pieces she finds at thrift stores, flea markets, antique shops, etc. and she always makes the GREATEST finds. (Seriously, check her blog out www.twicetreasured.blogspot.com) I had told her before next time she went bargain hunting that I wanted to come along, and on the day James left for Florida she introduced me to a thrift store in Clayton called the Pink Flamingo, and accomplished the task of chearing me up! After purchasing a gorgeous pitcher we made plans for the following week to check out some thrift stores in Raleigh she had been meaning to check out. And when I walked into Cause for Paws in Raleigh I walked into a new hobby, and a new place for my china. Below is a picture of the buffet that we walked past in Cause for Paws.

I would have thought, Geez that is an ugly piece of furniture and kept on going but not my beautiful friend Kate. She saw the potential in this buffet. I paid $75 for the piece and we loaded it into the back of my car. For the next week we had the BEST time sanding it down, painting it, and we even got REALLY brave and tiled the top.







So you can see, I had the best time hanging out with one of my favorite people, and creating this beautiful master piece! And the best part is that I only have about $180 in the whole piece. Steal! I can't wait to get it placed in our house in Virginia and update the blog with pictures of how beautiful it looks in our dining room! I am quite addicted to the feeling of finding something someone else tossed and then making it beautiful. So imagine my happiness when I walked into a thrift store in Morehead City and found a Thomasville Dining set! My dad was kind of enough to sand it down for me this morning, and my mom and I have begun painting the top to make it fabulous. I can't wait to update the blog with pictures of this to show you! The projects have been great, they keep me busy and I feel creative and productive :) Stay tuned to see my fantastic dining room set!

Other than that I have gotten myself settled into life by the salty sea and am enjoying hanging out with my parents. Below is the 21" puppy drum I caught while out with Captain Rick on Friday and I was so excited!

I have my favorite gals coming down this weekend for a girls weekend, so we'll be getting into some trouble, and then I can't believe it but in two weeks I'll be heading down to Pensacola to see James for our anniversary! Yay! Here is his address for anyone that wants to send some love his way!

ET3 Green, James
AN/SPN-41/43
BLDG 3220
230 Farrar Rd.
Pensacola, FL32508

I also want to take a moment to recognize what an important day today is. September 11 is a day I am sure all of us remember, and will never forget - and we shouldn't. I was on the beach today looking at the ocean and I couldn't help but feel thankful. I'm so proud I have a husband who has dedicated so much of himself to protecting this country and our freedoms, and I'm proud of every single man and woman he stands with. I am always saying a prayer for them, but today especially for those fighting and the families of September 11.

Until next time, have a great week and lots of LOVE!!!
Jules

Comments

Thanks for the shout out! The buffet looks amazing and we had such a blast (I think the puppies did too, Sophie is having Lilly withdrawals)!
Leigh Ann said…
Thrifting and furniture redo's are some of my favorite ways to spend my time also!

Popular Posts