The Evolving Adventures of 2015



“Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering 'it will be happier'...” 
― Alfred Lord Tennyson

This morning as we were sitting around the breakfast table, I asked James if he could describe 2015 in one word, what would it be. He thought for a minute, then said "adventurous." Then there was a pause and he said "never ending." I can't say I disagree with either of those. My word (I think) would be evolving. It's been such a strange year for me! I was a bit nervous to sit down and write my annual recap of the year because there are so, so many emotions wrapped up in 2015. There was joy, heartbreak, lots of laughter, loneliness, yes adventure, and evolution. Evolution you ask? Yes, there was lots of change that happened within our little family this year and more specifically within me. Lots of slow, gradual change that you can't necessarily feel is happening, and then bam! There it is. 

The big chapter in our story this year was of course, the deployment. It seems strange to me that it is over. It's surreal that James literally sailed around the world and was gone for nine months. I guess that's because in most ways, when he came home it was like he was never gone and for that, I am grateful. It can be really hard to feel close to someone when they are 7,000 miles away, but somehow James always made me feel that he was present in any situation I was walking through. 2015 on the Roosevelt was obviously tough for him, but he still managed to do amazing things. On September 11, he re-enlisted for another three years with the US Navy which is amazing to me. I don't think people realize how selfless these men and women are who willingly sign up to serve their country. James has been gone 80% of the past three years preparing for this deployment and then the actual world tour. It's been a long road. He calls it duty, I call it love. It makes me so proud, and a little crazy some days. His contract on the Roosevelt ended when he finished deployment and for all his hard work he was awarded the Navy Achievement Medal which is awarded for outstanding achievement or meritorious service. On top of that he visited London and Portsmouth, England, Dubai, Bahrain, Singapore, and Hawaii. He sailed through the Strait of Gibraltar, the Suez Canal,  the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian oceans, the Red Sea, the Arabian Sea, the Persian Gulf, the Bay of Bengal, and the South China Sea.
Pretty amazing, right? But, the highlight of deployment was the day we got him back! It was by far one of the greatest days of my life, definitely up there with our wedding day and the day Mason was born. It was magic. To see a video of all the pictures and James coming off the plane, you can click here. As usual, Vinluan Photography did an amazing job capturing a moment I want to relive whenever I want, and can with these gorgeous photos. It is weird to say that I am sad the Roosevelt has been moved to San Diego and I won't see her anymore. She's been the source of many heartaches, tears, but also some of my proudest moments. James has received orders for his Shore Duty here in Norfolk. He'll be a normal person with a normal job who is home for dinner and can take vacations whenever he wants to. I won't know what to do with myself. He will be in Mississippi for training until May for this job, so we're rounding the corner and sprinting towards the finish line when it comes to James being home for good! I know I say it all the time but I'm so grateful for all of your continued support. It's the greatest support system in the Navy.


My year personally was pretty incredible when I stop and take a look back! I celebrated three years of being on the Mosquito Joe marketing team and am so thankful I found this job and the people I work with. My girlfriends swept me off to NYC to celebrate my 30th birthday (eek!) in March and it was just what this soul needed. Anna Quindlen said it best the other day, "Female friendship is centrifugal force: the world spins fast, and they keep you from flying off into cold dark deep space." Thanks to my favorite girls for keeping me safe and sane basically...always.  Our house has been a fun project for me this year, too. This is our first house that I've actually been able to have fun with in terms of decorating and I love it more everyday. I got a tattoo, only had one trip to the Emergency Room this year, and successfully kept Mason alive, so I'd say 2015 was on point for me. 

What a year it was for Mason Eldridge! This is the part of the blog post I'm having trouble putting into words and that makes my heart hurt and burst at the same time. This kid is truly something special. He handled the past year better than I ever could have imagined. He was so brave, so strong and he kept me laughing and having fun through it all. I never thought such a small little soul would be the thing that carried me through the past nine months but he rocked it. He turned three (!!) which I can't seem to wrap my mind around. More and more everyday he looks like a kid rather than my sweet baby or toddler. He has an intensity and zest for life that is infectious and exhausting, and he has the biggest heart. He started preschool, is now potty trained, sleeping in a real, twin sized bed, riding a bike with training wheels, spelling his name, writing letters and still adores animals. Having this front row seat to life through his eyes is simply the best. Everything is fun, exciting and cause for celebration. He is impatient with anyone not as his speed, he questions everything and is as stubborn as his Momma. If I've heard it once from James since he got home I've heard it a million times - "You two are a hot mess." We can't wait to see what 2016 has in store for this guy. He is starting his first basketball team, taking his first airplane ride to visit Daddy in Mississippi and who knows what else. Being his Mom is the best part of this crazy ride. 

So, here we are on the eve of a new year, again. While I'm glad this one is over in many ways, I'm also glad it happened. It taught me so much about myself, my marriage, being a mom and embracing that ever evolving thing called change. I've never loved James Howard more, we have an incredible son, amazing families and I know 2016 is going to be just fantastic. I'm heading upstairs to take a shower now because we're eagerly waiting for Granny, Cotton, Aunt Annie, Uncle Will and Sophie - I can't think of a better way to ring in the new year.

Wherever the year takes you I hope it is full of kindness, love, laughter and maybe some wine too. Oh wait, is that just my wish? ;)

Happy New Year from the Greens!
xoxo


Comments

Popular Posts