Savoring every moment...

This date always seemed so far away, and now it is here. James Howard departs for training the day after tomorrow. We've had so much fun the past couple of weeks spending time together with family, and each other. Time goes by so quickly! Hopefully the next eight weeks fly by as quickly as the past few months have. It has been very busy! We've slowly started making some changes to get ready for our move. The first and most important being...my husband is now bald. Below are his before and after pictures.

He decided to be one step ahead of the game when he arrived in Great Lakes, IL and he shaved his head. Now, please let me tell you - I don't have a brother, and my dad surely never shaved his head. So, when he was having the conversation with Elaine on how short it was I didn't understand "Do you want a 1 guard or a 2 guard?" and I REALLY didn't understand James saying "Nah let's do no guard." When she took the clippers across his head for the first time I seriously thought I was going to die.  Luckily it has grown a lot in the past week and you can now tell what color his hair is. :)

We had an AWESOME 4th of July down at the beach with my family. The weather couldn't have been more perfect and Mom and Dad made amazing meals all weekend long, so James had lots of sun, fish, boating, and sleep to hold him over until he is on NC beaches again. There was a great fireworks show, and he even got to see Mags and her family before we left this morning. Today we've spent time hanging out in Dunn with Randy and Claudy. We also went to Wal-Mart to get all of the items he is allowed to take to Great Lakes.


 Yep. That's it. That is everything he will take with him as he boards the plane. Can you imagine if I had to do that? I know. Funny.

We are both very anxious, a little scared, and more excited than anything. I'm so proud of James. He has gained so much confidence in himself the past few months...so I can't imagine what these next weeks will do for him. I'm not focusing on us being apart, I'm trying to focus on the life we're starting and how much fun we're going to have over these next few years. We've had some of the best talks over the past week about where we could live, all of the places we (and our kids!) will get to see, and all the doors this opportunity opens for both of us. I know this transition will be the hardest, we've never been apart, and I am so lucky to have the support of my family and friends. I would never be able to do this without you. And I'm starting to cry now so I will stop. BUT I will have you know that I only had one "moment" this past weekend, after the fireworks show the band was thanking all of the troops for the work that they do and all that they sacrifice...and they started to sing America the Beautiful and I cried jusssst a little bit. :)

Pretty soon I will have his address to send to everyone, I'm sure he would love to hear from you. Keep him in your prayers as he makes his trip to Illinois on Thursday morning. I'll send updates as soon as I get them, and fill you in on my shenanigans while he's gone. We hope everyone had a safe and happy July 4th weekend. We can't thank you enough for all of the emails, texts, phone calls, and hugs. We're two lucky people!

Comments

Popular Posts