Turkeys and Square Plates

I cannot believe that Thanksgiving has come and gone, but James and I hope that everyone had a wonderful holiday and ate way too much food. We certainly did! This year, we couldn't make it back to North Carolina for Thanksgiving since we are coming home for Christmas. It definitely was weird not to be home but I have to admit I was very excited to cook my first Thanksgiving meal. On Wednesday I dropped James off at work and immediately went to the grocery store. I was armed with lots of recipes from both sides of the family and couldn't wait to try them out. My family is so stinking cute and they sent us a Southern Seasons Turkey since we couldn't be together, the UPS man brought him Wednesday afternoon! As I was waiting for my pecan pie to finish in the oven, I sat down on the couch to check my email. Lilly was as usual, looking out the window, and I happened to glance that way. It was definitely snowing. Not crazy snow, but a fleeting flurry. I sat there and thought about how crazy it was that we lived somewhere it was already snowing by Thanksgiving and I was smiling, and then came to the realization that probably wasn't a good sign for what was to come this winter and stopped smiling and turned the heat up. 

We really had the best time Thanksgiving day. We slept late, had breakfast, and Skyped with the families. James got to see Morgan for the first time, who has gotten so big! Cameron I hear is the greatest big sister :) Then we Skyped with the Greens and chatted about their day and then I got to work on our wonderful meal. We spent the afternoon in the kitchen drinking wine, laughing about who knows what, and then we had the most delicious meal. Turkey, Granny's dressing, green beans, mashed potatos, sweet potato souffle, that gross cranberry sauce in the can that James says completes Thanksgiving (ew) and I even made Claudy's cheeseball to snack on while we cooked. I was nervous about that one, but James said it tasted like his Mom's so that was a relief! As we finished a dish we brought it out to the table, and one of the first things done was the dressing. Then the mashed potatos were finished so I went back to the kitchen to put those in a bowl and came back out...and what the??....there was only four pieces of dressing left. Happy Thanksgiving Lilly. Brat. After we stuffed our faces, we made hot chocolate and curled up on the couch and watched Love Actually to kick off the season. It was one of the best days I've had in a long time. James is gone so much it is rare to have his undivided attention for a whole 24 hours so I was on cloud nine. Lilly was too with a belly full of dressing.

James Quote of the Night: (I have three asparagus platters from my everyday china. Basically they are just rectangular platters used for serving. I also have lots of Armatele platters that I was using. Keep that in mind)
"Babe I am so excited about this meal it looks so good. And the way you display the food on your Armoire and Square Platters is so pretty."  I love things through the eyes of James Howard.

Even though we were far away we were so aware of how much we have to be Thankful for, and we saw most of those faces on Skype Thursday evening. Our family has been so wonderful as we've made this transition into our new lifestyle and for that we are so happy. We have so much to look forward to. Warren and Tara are getting married in less than two weeks!! I leave for Tampa next Wednesday and can't wait to see everyone. I know they are so happy their big day is drawing near :) Then not long after we come home to NC for two whole weeks for Christmas!! We can't wait to see everyone. 

Below are a few pictures from our Thanksgiving, forgive the quality they were taken on my phone. We hope your holiday was wonderful and full of family, food, and laughter.


Sending lots of love from Illinois!

Comments

Leigh Ann said…
Matt and I just watched Love Actually tonight (celebrating the early NC snow this year and our school cancellation!) Watching the movie made me think of you! Therefore, I decided to check your blog, and lo and behold you and James had watched it too! :-) I'm glad you're getting to come home to NC for Christmas!

Popular Posts