A Presidential Encounter

So there's a funny thing about this blog post. It isn't really the content that you are about to read, it is about how much thought I put into writing it and how many things I deleted and re-wrote and how many times I wondered if I should even write it. (Nevermind the fact I started it 4 days ago and am just now getting around to finishing it) Why, you ask? Well politics are also a funny thing. They can create change, bring up a great conversation, but unfortunately they can be used to hurt and offend people when the two don't agree. I am one of those people that really tries very hard not to offend people with my own beliefs...because we all have them. Mine are no more important than the next person's. But this is my blog about life, family, and love - and this past weekend and this past election were so huge in my life that I can't not write about it. This election was so new for me. For the first time I was voting as a military wife, and for the first time I was voting as a Mom. Two massive changes in my life, and I took it very seriously. My husband has dedicated his life to the United States Navy to protect our rights and freedoms, so why shouldn't I take that right seriously? I was invested in the campaigns and doing my research and watching debates...for the first time I donated to a campaign and for the first time I went to a political rally.

While we were sitting outside last Friday evening enjoying the Fall weather and having a glass of wine I got an email informing me President Bill Clinton would be speaking in Chesapeake, VA on Saturday morning. This is only 11 miles from us so I immediately was very excited. President Clinton is my favorite president so I already couldn't imagine being in the same room as him. James started laughing at how excited I was, we ordered tickets and made our plans for the following morning. James was excited about his first political event, and a bit nervous too :)

Saturday morning we arrived two hours early to make sure we got in and while James and Mason waited in the heat of the car I braved the cold to hold our place. It was SO worth it. Not only did we hear President Clinton give an amazing speech, something pretty incredible happened.

 After he spoke we figured he would walk around and shake hands of the people in the standing pit..but we had a seat in the bleachers and although we were on the front row we weren't sure he would come to the back of the gym. We moved up to the railings, I sat Mason on the rail and held his waist so he could see and we waited. Stevie Wonder was playing and all of a sudden I noticed the President was definitely coming over to where we were standing. He comes right over, asks "Can I hold him?" And proceeds to dance with Mason for a good 10-15 seconds. I was speechless. Thank god James had the camera. I don't know I would have remembered how to work the thing. President Bill Clinton danced with Mason! It was amazing. So that is why I went back and forth on posting this, clearly Mason has on an Obama/Biden pin. And some people might say it isn't right to do that to a baby who doesn't know what's going on. But you you know what? I want Mason to know how seriously I take voting. I want him to know how seriously I take the job that his Dad and all other military members are carrying out each day, and I want him to know that voting (and rallying, and arguing, and wearing pins) is a right not everyone has. So one day, not only will he see the picture of the day a United States President held him, he'll know his Mom and Dad took him along to show him the importance of being educated, figuring out what your beliefs are, and then finding your voice...your respectful, compassionate, and open minded voice :)








Comments

Sarah Jourdain said…
Julie,
I think you are doing a wonderful job of raising your son. I love reading your posts.
I think you have every right to take your son to such an important event. You should be very proud that you got the chance to have the former President of the United States hold your son. That is a very big deal!
No matter what your political beliefs are, as Americans we are entitled to our opinion. How amazing of a woman, mom, and wife, are you that you care enough about the things in your life to look at the issues to see what effects you and what doesn't. I only wish there were more people in this country that cared the way you care about this monumental time in our lives. Good for you for posting your opinions and for caring so much about your beliefs. It is a fresh of breath air to see that there are people who really do look at the issues at hand and who take the time to see what those issues are really about.

Popular Posts